Saturday, February 4, 2012

Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta

I will start by admitting that I thought this would all be easier than it is! I know I will get the hang of it, so please bear with me. I also will have to learn to remember to take pictures at each step. Anyhow, remember this is my first recipe post. And yes, my first picture isn't centered and I can't figure out why! ;)

I'll admit it..I am a Pinterest addict. I love it! Needless to say, I found this recipe on Pinterest. It has quickly become one of our favorites! It is relatively quick and easy.   I served it with a ceasar salad, garlic bread, a bottle of Liberty School Cab and for dessert -Creme Brulee.


WARNING: This recipe is NOT diet friendly.

I made a few slight adjustments to the ingredients. This time I used frozen shrimp, although normally I use fresh shrimp. On this particular day the fresh shrimp looked as though it had been visiting the grocery store for a few days, so I quickly made a decision that frozen would be fine! I also really like the refridgerated pasta over the box. Just personal preference. Baby bella mushrooms, basil, 3oz of cream cheese, garlic, parsely, and yes, 10 tbps of butter (see the above warning).



I began by starting my pot of salted water for the pasta. I put the shrimp in the strainer under cold running water to thaw. 


Next, I added 2 tbps on butter to my pan to sautee the mushrooms. We love mushrooms. So instead of 8 oz, I went with 12 oz of the more meatier baby bellas.



I let those sautee down until they were a nice golden brown. I put them off to the side and really tried not to eat them all before I needed them. Then, I added my shrimp to the skillet (since I bought raw frozen shrimp) for a couple of minutes. I put them off to the side with the mushrooms.

Now for the sauce. Put 10 tbps of butter into the skillet and melt. Next, add the garlic, cream cheese, parsley and basil. The cream cheese will slowly begin to melt. Although, it will look curdled and that is okay! 


While the cream cheese is melting, I add my pasta to the boiling water and cook as the package instructs. I only used half of the package since there was just 2.5 mouths. It is important to do this now, because you will need to add some of the boiling pasta water to the sauce once the cream cheese has melted. If you were to use a box pasta that cooks for longer you could start the pasta before the sauce.

After the cream cheese has melted, you take a scoop of the boiling pasta water and add it to the cream cheese mixture. Continually stir until it smooths out and looks more appetizing.



Now it is time to add in the mushrooms and the shrimp. Simmer for about 10 mintues and stir often. After 10 minutes I added the pasta straight in to the sauce. That way the noodles soak up all that yummy goodness. After putting a serving on each plate I topped with a little fresh chopped parsely.


And this little secret came from my sister-in-law.....Microplaner and parmasean! SOO much better then the already shredded stuff. Just a little to top off the pasta.


And that's it! Ryan gave it two thumbs up and a groan! Even Carter loved it!





Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta

serves 4, prep 5 min, cook time 30 min
  • 4-8 oz fettuccine or linguine
  • 10 tbsp butter, divided
  • 8 oz fresh, sliced mushrooms (I used 12 oz of baby bellas)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 oz cream cheese, cut into small pieces
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 2/3 cup boiling water (from your noodle pot)
  • 1 lb cooked shrimp
  1. Boil and salt a large pot of water and cook your pasta.  I used half of a box for 2 of us.
  2. While your pasta is cooking, cook your shrimp if necessary and reserve.  If your shrimp are pre-cooked and frozen, quickly thaw them under running water.
  3. In a large skillet melt 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat and saute mushrooms until soft and brown.  Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Reserve cooked mushrooms and melt remaining butter in the skillet.  Add minced garlic, cream cheese, and herbs. 
  5. Simmer cream cheese mixture until well blended. Get a scoop of boiling pasta water from your noodle pot and mix it in, stirring quickly to smooth out the sauce.
  6. Keep sauce hot and add shrimp and mushrooms, mix well and simmer (stirring often) until everything is hot and thickened, about 10 minutes.
  7. Toss sauce with cooked noodles and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a keeper. This is one of my favorite pasta dishes you make. It was worth every calorie. Thanks babe.

    ReplyDelete